So how do you like being a newlywed? Wow. How do I even begin to answer such a question? Being a newlywed is awesome! I mean, I spent my whole life up until 2 years ago dreaming about finally meeting the perfect guy and having my dream wedding…and now I have all of that. Being married is great! And being a newlywed is lots of fun. It is also stressful as two very different people try to learn how to be one. We have our arguments, but also late night giggles. The newlywed life is a good life. And since we’ve been married about 9 months now, I thought it was time to share a few ‘newlywed confessions’ with you.
These are a few of things that I’ve learned and observed along the way.
- I still get butterflies when I walk in the door and see him after a long day of work….Even more so when he is standing in the kitchen getting dinner ready! I hope that feeling never goes away.
- Apparently our name, Putman is really hard to spell. I didn’t anticipate this. I’ve been called Tutman, Tupman, Putnam and Putnum. I just don’t get it.
- He has some strange quirks. Nothing bad of course, just little things that I never noticed before. I have quirks too. When you first fall in love with someone you think they are perfect. Then you find out that they aren’t and I think I love him more for that.
- I completely underestimated the amount of cooking that would be necessary. When I was single and living alone I could stretch a grocery bill for miles. But now? Not gonna happen. Sometimes I say ‘forget it’ and throw a pizza in the oven, but overall it’s a lot more groceries and cooking. (Guess it’s a good thing I like to cook.)
- I finally feel like I have a place and a purpose. I feel like I belong somewhere and to someone. It’s like my story is set in stone now. Before marriage, everything I did and everywhere I lived was subject to change. But now I have a very permanent home and situation because I will be Brian’s wife forever. I find purpose in being the lady of the house.
- There is more to Star Wars and Marvel Comic movies than I could ever hope to know. Do you know how many movies this man has made me watch in the past year? It’s never just one movie, it’s a million movies and their all connected and I have to go and see them all. ‘sigh.’ At least I get a little payback every now and then when I make him watch chick flicks.
You know it’s weird. Before you get married everyone tells you to brace for the worst because the first year of marriage is the most difficult. I was prepared for a lot of trouble this year but I’m having the time of my life.
No, marriage isn’t easy, but it’s wonderful in so many ways and so here is what I have to say to my engaged friends: Marriage is work, but it is worth it. Get ready for lots of fun and lots of long conversations while you and your figure out who you are going to be and how you are going to live with each other. You’ll have so much fun being a newlywed and the great thing is that it’s only the very beginning of your journey together. Focus on the things that you love about your new husband and extend lots of grace to each other. You’re going to love the newlywed life.
Do you have any ‘newlywed confessions’ that you would like to share? Or marriage advice? I’d love to hear your confessions and advice.
Want to be featured on Confessions of a Newlywed?
If you are interested in being featured on ‘Confessions of a Newlywed,’ please submit this form and I will be in touch with you shortly! Whether funny or serious I’d love to see what you love about being a newlywed!